Mar 7 2013 by Julie Gilbert, Hamilton Advertiser
A Hamilton man was horrified to find what appeared to be a human bite mark in his gammon steak.
Alan Radigan (43) from Eddlewood bought the pack of two frozen steaks from Iceland several weeks ago and was looking forward to enjoying them for his dinner.
He took them out of the freezer at the end of last week and was shocked to find one of the steaks clearly had a bite taken out of it.
As the bitten steak had been sealed, Alan concluded it must have come from the supply factory in that state and is keen for Iceland to investigate what happened.
Alan said: “First the supermarkets were selling horse meat, and now somebody is eating my gammon steaks.
“I put a picture up on Facebook and everyone was laughing at it.”
The gammon steaks are frozen raw and customers must cook them after defrosting.
On Saturday Alan took the offending steak back to the store where he had bought it, in Brandon Street, Hamilton.
The store took it off him and are going to send it away . They are going to try and get to the bottom of what happened.
The store also agreed to refund Alan the pound he had paid for the steaks.
A spokeswoman for Iceland said they would be back in touch with Alan once they had worked out what happened.
She said: “We take all customer complaints and inquiries seriously.
“The customer returned the product to the store.
“The store will fill out a customer complaint form, which will then be sent to the customer care team who will investigate initially and speak to the supplier.
“The customer will be contacted by our customer care team who will offer him a gesture of good will and apologise for any distress caused.”
It could take several weeks before Iceland are in a position to explain Alan’s gammon steak problem.