Feb 14 2013 by Sandra Walls, Hamilton Advertiser
Hamilton couple Robert and Jenny Wilson celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary in style last week when they welcomed VIP visitors to their home.
Provost Eileen Logan attended the family celebrations of Robert and Janet (known as Jenny) accompanied by Deputy Lieutenant Margaret Morton and councillors Monica Lennon and Lynn Adams.
Robert was born in Barnsley Street, Hamilton, on October 21, 1925, and his wife Jenny (nee Lindsay) was born in Brown Street, Hamilton, on July 11, 1928.
Met: They met in December 1948 at a social evening in Hamilton Old Parish Church.
Married: They were married by the Very Rev John A Fraser on January 31, 1953, in Hamilton Old Parish Church.
Bridal party: Best man was William Cunningham and the bridesmaid Jenny Rodger (now Fleming).
Honeymoon: They went to Edinburgh, travelling by train.
Family life: They started married life in Johnstone Street where they lived for 12 years before moving to West Stewart Street in 1965, where they stayed for 40 years. In 2005, they moved to Millar Park where they still live. They have one daughter Jennifer, married to Colin Gibson, and a grandson, David, married to Louise, and have one great-granddaughter Zoey, aged four.
Work: Robert worked in 1941 with Clyde Valley Power Company, nationalised in 1948 to the South of Scotland Electricity Board. He retired in 1983 after 42 years’ service.
Jenny began work in 1944 with Redpath Brown in Westburn, for 10 years, and left to become a housewife and mother.
She returned to work in 1965 with the SSEB, retiring in 1988.
Activities: They have been members of West Parish Church, Hamilton, all of their married life and both are elders.
Awards: In 1996 they were awarded the Rotary Club of Hamilton Community Service Award for their work with the youth of the town.