Jul 3 2008 by Lesley Brown, Hamilton Advertiser
PUPILS from St Anne’s primary won’t just be returning to a brand new building after the summer holiday, but to a newly-named school too.
It was decided at a South Lanarkshire Council committee meeting this week that St Anne’s is to be re-named Our Lady and St Anne’s Primary from the start of the new school session in August.
The ‘new’ name can actually be traced back to 1956, and with the new school building set to open this year, parents, church representatives and local elected members put forward a proposal to revert to the school’s original name.
Parents, trade unions and the Diocese of Motherwell were among those consulted about the name change, and an overwhelming majority agreed with the proposal.
In July last year, the council approved plans to demolish the old St Anne’s Primary School building and erect a brand new one on the site, and pupils have been attending nearby St Peter’s Primary while the building works have been carried out.
The development is part of the council’s £850m Primary Schools Modernisation Programme.
The ultimate aim of the exercise is to see all primary schools in the district undergo modernisation by 2019.