Nov 8 2012 by Gary Fanning, Hamilton Advertiser
A teenage boy was fighting for his life this week after being mown down by a car as he crossed the motorway near Hamilton on the way home from a fireworks display at Strathclyde Park.
Peter McConville (16), from Hamilton, and his pal were walking home from the display when he was struck by a black Citroen C2 on the motorway southbound near junction 6.
The former Holy Cross pupil was hit about 9.40pm when he and his friend had decided to take a short cut after leaving the display .
A 40-year-old woman driver tried to swerve to avoid hitting the teenager.
The youths put their lives at risk when they made their way across the motorway – on which about 40,000 people travel every day – rather than using the pedestrian footbridge or underpass.
Emergency services raced to the scene. The injured teenager – who had just left school in the summer and is attending fashion college in Glasgow – was taken by ambulance to Wishaw General Hospital. He was then moved to Glasgow’s Southern General Hosptial where his condition was at first described as critical.
On Tuesday, medics said the boy’s condition was stable.
The driver and her eight-year old son were treated for shock and later released from hospital. The southbound carriageway of the motorway remained closed for approximately three hours on Monday night following the accident.
Eyewitness Nicole Roach tweeted: “Just realised the accident we passed on the M74 last night was a 16-year-old boy who had been hit by a car.
“We genuinly missed it by seconds. I just saw the people when it happened.”
A Scottish Ambulance spokesman said: “We received a call about a road traffic accident on the M74 at 9.40pm on Monday involving a car.
“The incident happened on the M74 at Motherwell heading towards Hamilton.
“One person was taken to Wishaw General Hospital.”
Thousands of people flock to the annual fireworks display at Strathclyde Country Park. The entertainment programme began at 5pm with the bonfire lit at 7pm. The fireworks display began at 8pm and lasted for about 25 minutes. The park’s car parks remained close for at least 30 minutes after the end of the display to allow pedestrians to disperse safely in the darkness.
North Lanarkshire Council hold the fireworks display with South Lanarkshire Council, and neither would comment on the accident as it is now a police investigation. Witnesses to the accident should call police on 0141 532 6443.